Designing A Makeup Contest Campaign Promoting "Sephora Virtual Artist"
Create your favourite makeup looks and share it to win prizes
This is a project which aims to help a fictitious client to solve a problem.
By that time, Sephora just launched a new feature called “Virtual Artist ” which uses facial recognition to empower customers to try on different makeup looks. In order to promote this feature, that’s why this makeup contest campaign is created.
With this campaign, participants can experiment with the new tool to create different looks, learn tutorials, and of course share their obsessions to win prizes.
What is the better way to promote Sephora Virtual Artist to its target audience?
The solution came up from 3 aspects that are considered:
With this solution, participants can experiment with Virtual Artist, get virtual step-by-step makeup tutorials, and eventually, share their design looks on social media to get other audiences get involved in and to vote for their favourite ones.
Understanding My Users
1) Define the target audiences
After 3 interviews and market research, I created a persona to better define the target users who 1) would participant in this contest/are makeup lovers, and 2) are beauty influencer/enthusiast that can impact other potential participants.
2) Understand users needs & Discover design opportunities
After completing all the research, I wrote down some of the common feedbacks and key findings and stick them to the wall. With the help of my 3 interviewees, we card sorted the stickers to discover and outlined the main learnings and design opportunities.
Visualizing User Scenarios
Story boards have clearly helped visually predict and explore user’s start-to-finish experience/flows with this campaign, and of course, to better get the buy-ins from Sephora.
Below is one of the case scenarios to explain how users would notice about the contest, share it with friends, enter to win, and find out who is the winner.
Before jumping into wireframes, I created a sitemap by using the persona, strategy, and user scenarios created earlier.
Sitemapping helped me to further deliver a better user experience, by understanding the scope of work, improving the navigation, and avoiding missing out on critical parts of the website’s architecture.
Wireframing the Interface
As the streamlined flow and sitemap became more and more clear, I started by drawing some on paper and testing some of the flows on InVision to identify any usability issues. Then I used Sketch for detailed wireframes and annotated each one.