Wedding Planning Application Re-design

To streamline your wedmin and planing with confidence

Overview

Planning a wedding can be a logistical nightmare. However with MarryAide, getting ready for the big day is easier than ever.

MarryAide, developed by Caigua Cloud, a start-up specializing in wedding CRM platform, is a one-stop wedding planner application that helps couples in China with planning and sharing their experiences. 

I was part of the biggest design refresh for MarryAide. My part was to improve its major UX flow, refine and create UI design system, and re-design some of the major UI screens.

Role

UX/UI

Prototype

UI Refinement

Design System

Tools Used

Sketch

InVision

Type/Team

Internship at Caigua Cloud

Solo Designer, Operation & Customer Service team, Engineers

Timeframe

Dec 2017 – Feb 2018

What is MarryAide?

MarryAide, developed by Caigua Cloud, a start-up specializing in wedding CRM platform, is a one-stop wedding planner application that helps couples in China with planning and sharing their experiences. 

Why a Redesign?

As the user base is constantly growing, MarryAide had several rapid iterations to fulfill the needs. However, a lack of thoughtful planned UX and design system/style guide to follow, it arose the following issues:

  • Usability problems on the MVP features
  • Experiences on the usability and visuals are quite different across different features
  • Iteration work became repetitive, slow, and lost track

My Role

As part of the biggest design refresh, my role was to:

Below is a comparison between the MarryAide app before and after redesign:

Task 1: To improve the major user flows

Redefine the Problem

I began with getting familiar with the whole application, by giving myself a certain task to complete to see if any frustrations or opportunities to improve. Besides, I also had several discussions with people from operations and customer service to discuss about the problems/needs they had collected.

After all these, we concluded and prioritized 3 our main focus areas, which were the following features:

  • Social platform to share wedding experience
  • To shop for wedding related products/E-shopping
  • Search and book wedding shoots

A list of main problems/needs they previously collected, and I prioritized them to a focus area.

Top Takeaways

While we discovered a variety of needs and pain points, across all of them, it was clear to us that the most important takeaways were:

Restructure the Sitemap

Having these problems in mind,  I restructured the old sitemap: mainly created 2 new tabs, “Discover” and “Shop” respectively, and relocated a tar bar which had low CTR.

By doing so, MarryAide has a more clear navigation and more exposures on the MVP features, and are easier for users to get access to those features.  

Low-Fidelity Concepts + A Quick Usability Check

I re-created low-fidelity concepts to see how each feature is navigated, what are possible solutions, and if there is an easier solution to understand. This process also helped to visualize and decide on the most efficient user flows.

Later I had a quick prototype usability test with stakeholders, and made changes to the wireframes accordingly. 

Highlights of Improvements on the MVP Features

"Social": to post, read, and share wedding related experience

"Shop": to browse and shop for wedding related products

"Book": to browse and book wedding shoots

Task 2: UI Refinement + Design System

Build a Moodboard

We put together a moodboard for inspiration before creating our own design system. 

Establish a Design System

Once we felt we were in agreement with the visual feel, I created a design system to ensure consistency across all screens and ease the development process.

All information in the projects are my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of respective companies. All the projects complies to the NDA.